BBC Television Centre sold for £200m
Monday 16 July 2012
The BBC has sold its landmark Television Centre for about £200 million.
A statement released today said the corporation "exchanged contracts" with property developers Stanhope Plc on Saturday.
More details will be released when the sale is complete.
The 14-acre site in White City, west London, will be empty by 2015 after staff have moved to other sites including MediaCity in Salford and the new Broadcasting House in central London."
The BBC originally announced it wanted to sell the building, which opened in 1960, in 2007.
The main circular building, known to staff as the doughnut, was given Grade II listed status by English Heritage in 2009.
Among the shows recorded in its studios are Fawlty Towers, Monty Python's Flying Circus, Blue Peter, Doctor Who and Strictly Come Dancing.
The site is also home to the Blue Peter garden, which has been relocated to Salford.
When the sale process was first announced, the then W12 programme director Richard Deverell said the building had "played an extraordinary and central role in the history of the BBC" and would "not be forgotten".
Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
Woman accidentally shoots herself in the head while posing for a selfie
How China's richest man Li Hejun lost $15bn in an hour - and made a fortune
Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
Snoop Dogg on why he doesn't regret displaying misogyny towards women
- 1 Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
- 2 A politically correct lefty goes to see Top Gear live – you'll probably believe what happened next
- 3 Young Preston fan has play-off hero Jermaine Beckford's shirt stolen from him at Wembley - which then appears for sale on Gumtree
- 4 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 5 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£30 - 35k: Guru Careers: A Senior Account Manager / SAM is needed to join the ...
£55000 - £65000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Digital Marketing Manager...