Fox TV presenter Andrea Tantaros says food stamps are 'fabulous' diet
Nikhil Kumar is The Independent's New York correspondent. He was formerly assistant editor on the foreign desk and has also done a variety of jobs on the city desk, where he wrote about markets, commodities and other business and economics topics.
Friday 23 November 2012
A Fox News presenter has brought more controversy to the notoriously right-wing broadcaster by suggesting that poor families could benefit from having to rely on food stamps as it could help them diet.
Asked during The Five show if she could survive on food stamps – which provide an average food subsidy of $133 (£83) a month for hard-up families – Andrea Tantaros said: "I should try it because do you know how fabulous I'd look? I'd be so skinny. I mean, the camera adds 10 pounds, it really does."
The 33-year-old TV host offered no apology later, tweeting: "It's amazing how stupid & humorless some liberals can be." She also referred to government adverts which she claimed were "telling us food stamps wld make us LOOK GREAT."
VMAs 2015: Was Nicki Minaj and Miley Cyrus' awkward acceptance put-down real or staged?
Bank Holiday Monday opening times: Are Tesco, Asda and other supermarkets open today?
Rules on 5p plastic bags likely to lead to arguments at the check-out
The nine most warmongering countries in the world revealed
Isis releases graphic video showing four Shia 'spies' being burned alive in Anbar, Iraq
- 1 VMAs 2015: Was Nicki Minaj and Miley Cyrus' awkward acceptance put-down real or staged?
- 2 If you're not already angry about the migrant crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
- 3 Rules on 5p plastic bags likely to lead to arguments at the check-out
- 4 Chaos breaks out in courtroom as father attacks killer of three-year-old daughter
- 5 I like Corbyn, but let's face it: we don't need another white man at the head of a political party
COMPETITIVE + Excellent Benefits: Guru Careers: A Lead Systems Developer / Sof...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: The world's leading financial services careers...
£28000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Digital Marketing Executive...
40-45K DOE + Benefits: Guru Careers: An Account Manager / Senior Account Manag...