'Happy Days' cast sue for share of earnings
Thursday 21 April 2011
Cast members of the vintage US comedy series Happy Days have sued CBS television network, alleging that they are not getting a cut of the money made in sales of DVDs, lunch boxes, board games and other merchandise related to the show.
The plaintiffs named in the lawsuit filed in Los Angeles Superior Court include Anson Williams (Potsie), Marion Ross (Mrs Cunningham), Don Most (Ralph Malph), Erin Moran (Joanie) and Patricia Bosley, wife of Tom Bosley (Mr Cunningham), who died last year. Two prominent members of the 1974-84 sitcom – Henry Winkler, who played the Fonz and Ron Howard, who played Richie – are not party to the lawsuit.
The suit alleged that CBS cheated the plaintiffs out of more than $10m from the sale of products featuring their images, including gambling machines, T-shirts, board games, greeting cards and drinking glasses.
The actors claimed their contracts with the show's producer, Paramount Television, which has been folded into CBS, guaranteed 5 per cent of net proceeds from merchandise that used their name, voice or likeness. However, they said CBS has not shown them revenue reports and even told Moran that no money was owed to her.
CBS said it intends to honour its obligation. "We agree that funds are owed to the actors and have been working with them for quite some time to resolve the issue," the company said in a statement.
Turkish President: 'Equality between men and women is against nature'
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
Ferguson decision: Tea Party website mocks Michael Brown's family over T-shirt typo
Michael Brown shooting: Ten things we know – or know better – now the Ferguson grand jury's work is over
Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 4 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film
- 5 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
£18000 - £30000 per annum + uncapped: SThree: Do you feel your sales role is l...
£20000 - £45000 per annum + uncapped: SThree: Key featuresA highly motivated ...
£28 - 34k: Guru Careers: An ambitious PR Account Manager is needed to join a c...
£35 - 45k: Guru Careers: A Web Content Editor / Web Editor is needed to join a...