Larry King: Morgan 'was oversold'
Saturday 19 February 2011
The veteran US chat show host Larry King has given his verdict on his successor, Piers Morgan: the British former tabloid editor "may have been oversold" to the Americans public, he told BBC Radio 4 .
Morgan took over the CNN chat show that King had anchored for 25 years last month, receiving mixed reviews for his fawning interviews with celebrities including Oprah Winfrey and Howard Stern.
"I don't want to be horrible about him, I think he's a fine broadcaster," King told the PM programme. Asked why he thought Morgan's show had rated badly, King said its launch had been too high profile, with CNN heavily plugging Morgan's debut.
"I think one of the problems they did was oversell it. He was going to be dangerous, he was going to be water cooler talk," King said.
"He's good but not that dangerous. I think they might have been better off starting quietly and that's not Piers' fault, or maybe it is, I'm not inside anymore ... He's not bad. He asks good questions, maybe he interrupts a little too much. I think he may have been oversold."
Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart bromance continues: X-Men star gushes about 'pussy cat' BFF Patrick Stewart
David Cameron stung by jellyfish: PM hurt after ignoring advice of locals while on holiday
South Korea ferry: Vice principal rescued from sinking ship found hanged
Hollande's affair: Catherine Deneuve and Sophie Marceau in war of words over President's relationship with Julie Gayet
Kim Jong-un, crowds and contraband kit: Inside North Korea with the the Pyongyang marathon winner
- 1 KFC 'sorry' after lesbian couple are kicked out of Bath restaurant for 'heavy petting'
- 2 Dylan Tombides: West Ham confirm 20-year-old striker has died after battle with cancer
- 3 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 4 'Sinful': Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy comes under attack
- 5 PFA Player of the Year: Luis Suarez, Daniel Sturridge and Steven Gerrard all nominated as Liverpool dominate award shortlist
£26K-30k + Bonus, Private Medical Insurance, Company Pension: Charter Selectio...
£25K-28k + Bonus, Private Medical Insurance, Company Pension: Charter Selectio...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: There are many small development projects in ...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: As part of an ongoing effort to support local...