Mirren and Lumley to read girls' tales
Thursday 10 February 2011
Dame Helen Mirren and Joanna Lumley are to summon up the "jolly hockey sticks" era for BBC Radio 4 with a season of classic girls' school tales. The stories include Enid Blyton's The Cheat and will be broadcast over three days next month.
The announcement comes after the BBC Trust told Radio 4 to appeal to listeners beyond a "middle-class" audience.
Ms Lumley defended the decision to revive Blyton, whose books fell out of fashion and were removed from some libraries in the 1980s. The actress said: "Blyton had a very clear sense of right and wrong, and this short story is rather wonderful in the way the dilemma of being a cheat is resolved. I was at boarding school and I recognise the quietness of a dormitory when all the other girls are asleep."
Dame Helen will voice A Midnight Revel by Angela Brazil, dating back to 1925. Lisa Dillon, the Cranford actress, will also appear in the Good Show Clarissa series, reading Hilda Richards' 1939 tale Jemima Gets Them Guessing.
Diving in at the deep end is no excuse for shirking the style stakes
Pope Francis: ‘One in 50’ Catholic priests, bishops and cardinals is a paedophile
Fry ‘criticises Operation Yewtree in dinner party rant’ calling for tougher laws to deter false sex abuse allegations
Supermoon 2014 in pictures: The moon appeared bigger and brighter at the weekend
Saharan remains may be evidence of first race war, 13,000 years ago
Israel-Gaza conflict: ‘Sderot cinema’ image shows Israelis with popcorn and chairs 'cheering as missiles strike Palestinian targets'
- 1 Fry ‘criticises Operation Yewtree in dinner party rant’ calling for tougher laws to deter false sex abuse allegations
- 2 Belgium fan Axelle Despiegelaere lands L'Oreal campaign after World Cup viral photo
- 3 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 4 Israel-Gaza conflict: ‘Sderot cinema’ image shows Israelis with popcorn and chairs 'cheering as missiles strike Palestinian targets'
- 5 Blackest is the new black: Scientists have developed a material so dark that you can't see it...
£28000 - £32000 per annum + pension, 25 days holiday: Ashdown Group: A highly ...
£30000 - £40000 per annum: Deerfoot IT Resources Limited: Sales Engineer - Cow...
competitive: Progressive Recruitment: My client who are a leading publisher in...
£45-£57k OTE £75k : Charter Selection: Major London International Fashion and ...