Olympics could be hit by BBC strike action
Wednesday 26 October 2011
Thousands of BBC staff are to be balloted on strike action in a row about jobs, pay and conditions, raising the threat of disruption to flagship shows – and possibly coverage of the 2012 Olympics.
Technicians, journalists and other employees will vote from 4 November on whether to take industrial action. The BBC unveiled plans earlier this month to cut 2,000 jobs and make changes to staff terms and conditions to make savings of 20 per cent, worth £670m a year by 2016-17.
The corporation has held talks with Bectu, the National Union of Journalists and Unite on the changes, but no agreement has been reached. The ballot result will be known on 24 November, so strike action could start in early December. Bectu general secretary Gerry Morrissey warned that shows such as Strictly Come Dancing and the BBC's Sports Personality Of The Year could be hit. Union sources said next year's Olympics could be targeted if the dispute is not resolved.
Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart bromance continues: X-Men star gushes about 'pussy cat' BFF Patrick Stewart
David Cameron stung by jellyfish: PM hurt after ignoring advice of locals while on holiday
South Korea ferry: Vice principal rescued from sinking ship found hanged
Hollande's affair: Catherine Deneuve and Sophie Marceau in war of words over President's relationship with Julie Gayet
Kim Jong-un, crowds and contraband kit: Inside North Korea with the the Pyongyang marathon winner
- 1 KFC 'sorry' after lesbian couple are kicked out of Bath restaurant for 'heavy petting'
- 2 Dylan Tombides: West Ham confirm 20-year-old striker has died after battle with cancer
- 3 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 4 'Sinful': Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy comes under attack
- 5 PFA Player of the Year: Luis Suarez, Daniel Sturridge and Steven Gerrard all nominated as Liverpool dominate award shortlist
£26K-30k + Bonus, Private Medical Insurance, Company Pension: Charter Selectio...
£25K-28k + Bonus, Private Medical Insurance, Company Pension: Charter Selectio...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: There are many small development projects in ...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: As part of an ongoing effort to support local...