Peston to replace Flanders as BBC economics editor
Stephanie Flanders leaves BBC for a role at JP Morgan
Thursday 17 October 2013
Robert Peston is to move from his role as the BBC’s business editor to become the corporation’s economics editor.
He will replace Stephanie Flanders, who surprised many by announcing in September that she is leaving the broadcasting world for a role at JP Morgan Asset Management.
Mr Peston, 53, joined the BBC in 2005. Before that he was political editor and financial editor of the Financial Times and city editor of The Sunday Telegraph.
He said: “I am excited by the prospect of trying to get underneath what’s going on in the British economy and global economy, especially in the run-up to the 2015 general election. And it’s thrilling to be taking up a new challenge at the BBC, after eight wonderful years as its business editor.”
Jon Zilkha, editor of the BBC business and economics unit, said the economy was likely to be “central to our agenda” as the election nears, adding: “Robert has the ideal combination of economic and financial expertise, political insight and broadcasting flair to give our audiences… the best service in the years ahead.”
Ms Flanders, who has worked at the BBC for 11 years, will continue to present Radio 4’s Start the Week.
- 1 Bad cattitude: Family call police after crazed and 'hostile cat with a history of violence' attacks baby before attempting to 'flee custody'
- 2 Family forced to flee home after discovering 'terrifying' nest of spiders in bananas
- 3 First Kiss: Filmmaker gets 20 strangers to make out on YouTube with awkward results
- 4 Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 5 Bob Crow death: 'Admired by his members, feared by employers' - Tributes pour in for RMT union leader and 'working class hero' Bob Crow
£20000 - £25000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: One of the largest mobile advert...
£960 - £1550 per month: Inspiring Interns: Our client has been at the forefron...
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: Our client is a leading digital agency bu...
£20000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits: Corporate Traveller: We're looking for t...