Radio 1 rapped for swear word game
Radio 1's Scott Mills show has been rapped by the broadcasting watchdog for broadcasting what appeared to be a swear word when children were listening.
Badly Bleeped TV, in which TV and radio clips are played with words bleeped out, has been a regular feature on the BBC station.
The sounds of the beginning and end of the words remain audible, giving the impression that the bleep is masking an offensive word.
But it is later revealed that the words, such as fated and fantastic, are not offensive.
The BBC said that the feature belonged to "the saucy seaside postcard tradition of comedy" and not to "anything more offensive".
But Ofcom found that Radio 1 had broadcast the beginning and end of a word that sounded "for all intents and purposes" like f**k during the 4pm show in school holidays.
It had been "purposefully edited to sound identical to the word f**k" and the programme had therefore breached the broadcasting code, Ofcom said.
Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
Isis publicly behead man in Syrian town square for 'insulting Allah' as he screams for help
One spelling error costs Companies House up to £9 million after being sued for ruining business
- 1 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 Kim Kardashian on Bruce Jenner's 'story': 'We support him no matter what, and I think when the time is right, he'll talk'
- 4 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 5 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This established Digital Agency based in East ...
£35 - 45K + COMMISSION (NEG): Guru Careers: A Sales Director / Business Develo...
£30000 - £35000 per annum + 20 days holidays & pension: Ashdown Group: Marketi...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Sauce Recruitment: Working for a independently owne...