Raunchy Rihanna video sparks new guidance
Monday 09 May 2011
Music TV channels will be issued with new guidance after an unedited version of Rihanna's controversial S&M video was broadcast before the watershed.
Watchdog Ofcom said that the video had a "significant sexual fetish, bondage and sadomasochistic nature".
The singer walks a man on a leash and whips him, adopts sexualised positions with blow-up dolls, and dresses up in rubber and latex fetish outfits in the video.
The video and song, which contains lyrics such as "sticks and stones may break my bones but chains and whips excite me" was broadcast at around 11.30am in March by WTF TV.
Ofcom said that "given the sexualised nature of the content and theme, and the at times inappropriate and potentially dangerous and imitable behaviour shown in this video", the broadcaster was in breach of the broadcasting code.
It is calling on music video channels to attend a meeting and will be issuing new guidance on the issue.
Ofcom recently ruled against the broadcast of a Flo Rida video on MTV and 4Music that was broadcast before the 9pm watershed.
Ashya King missing: Police hunt five-year-old boy with brain tumour snatched from Southampton hospital by his parents
YouTube video posted by Isis militants shows 'execution of 250 Syrian soldiers'
Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
Californian drought is so severe it's 'causing the ground to move'
Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
- 1 Ashya King missing: Police hunt five-year-old boy with brain tumour snatched from Southampton hospital by his parents
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
- 5 Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
- < Previous
- Next >
£18000 - £30000 per annum + uncapped: SThree: Do you feel you sales role is li...
£85000 - £100000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Head of Marketing - Slough, Berkshi...
£18 - 20k + Bonus: Guru Careers: An Administration Assistant / Office Assistan...
£28000 per annum: Ashdown Group: IT Software Application Support Analyst - Imm...