The future of Sydney radio hosts Kyle Sandilands and Jackie O is in doubt with the pair suspended indefinitely and Sandilands reportedly unable to work after last week's polygraph stunt.
The controversial pair were not on air for their 2Day FM breakfast program today, amid calls for them to be sacked by station owners Austereo since Wednesday when a 14-year-old girl was strapped to a lie detector and asked on air about her sexual history.
When her mother asked if she was sexually active the girl replied: "I've already told you the story about this ... and don't look at me and smile because it's not funny."
After the distressed teenager revealed she has been raped as a 12-year-old, radio shock jock Kyle Sandilands responded by saying: "Right, is that the only experience you've had?" before the interview was brought to an end.
Austereo has not announced a replacement for the high-profile broadcasters.
In a statement late yesterday, Austereo Sydney general manager Jenny Parkes said: "Kyle Sandilands' management has advised Austereo that he is unable to perform his duties on-air at this time.
"Further, following a great deal of consideration and having consulted Jackie O and all stakeholders, Austereo has formed the view that it is in the interest of all parties, for the Kyle and Jackie O Show to go into recess until we have completed an across-the-networks review of the principals (sic) and protocols of our interaction with our audience. This review commenced last Wednesday, July 29."
There would be no further comment from Austereo, the statement said.
Sandilands and Jackie O apologised on air on Thursday for the stunt, claiming they had not been told the girl had been raped and denying suggestions the interview was a set-up.
Police are investigating the rape claim and officers from the Department of Community Services (DoCS) have met with the family involved.
* Source: The New Zealand Journal.