The Big Fat Quiz: what was offensive was the lack of funny, not the lack of taste
Tuesday 01 January 2013
Ever since “Sachsgate”, certain areas of the press have been waiting for another opportunity to put the boot into modern comedy for its lack of reverence.
Channel 4’s Big Fat Quiz of 2012 handed it to them on a plate. Jack Whitehall, James Corden, Jonathan Ross and Jimmy Carr cracked off-colour jokes about the Queen, Susan Boyle and others “just seconds after the 9pm watershed”.
But what was offensive was the lack of funny, not the lack of taste. “SuBo likes it in the arse,” was one bon mot. Then there was “Barack Obama put on a condom and had a posh wank.” Boys, boys. Her Majesty, heard better snark at the Royal Variety Show. In 1949.
Weather bomb in pictures: Storms cuts power for tens of thousands – and snow is on the way
Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
Russell Brand was rendered speechless on Question Time by this man
Fury at Airbus after it hints the super-jumbo may be mothballed
- 1 Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
£Neg. (DOE) + Excellent Benefits: Guru Careers: A Finance Account Manager with...
£25000 per annum: Ashdown Group: An established media firm based in Surrey is ...
£25,000 to £35,000: Sphere Digital Recruitment: The Company Our client are th...
£80 – 120K : Sphere Digital Recruitment: Sales Director – Ad tech - £80 – 120K...