The top ten: Visual clichés
John Rentoul is chief political commentator for The Independent on Sunday, and visiting professor at King's College, London, and at Queen Mary University of London. Previously he was chief leader writer for The Independent. He has written a biography of Tony Blair, whom he admired more at the end of his time in office than he did at the beginning.
Sunday 23 June 2013
Mark Wallace asked if I could add pictures to my Banned List of clichés, and nominated the first here. Lloyd Bracey, who teaches TV journalists, persuaded me to ban reporters referencing stormy waters, for example, over footage of the sea. But this is different. This is about reaching for the most obvious image with which to illustrate an abstract subject.
1. Wedding cake decorations for reports and features about gay marriage
2. Poignant empty swings for stories suggesting that the authorities have failed children – nominated by Callum May.
3. Stretch of police incident tape for any article about crime – Ben Knights
4. The flames from gas-cooker rings for rising energy prices – Terry Stiastny
5. Faceless greebo lights a gigantic bifta, all but hands and lips obscured, for any story about drugs – Ed Pemberton
6. The statue on the Old Bailey roof for anything to do with the law or justice – Chris Bartlett
7. Pictures of people from the neck down for stories about obesity.
8. A woman with her head in her hands for all mental-health stories – Becca Reilly-Cooper
9. Precarious stack of coins for personal finance stories – Tom Powdrill
10. Aerial montage of suburbia for TV reports on property markets. Used, obviously, because we don't know what houses look like – "Bubblejet"
Next week Top 10 Best Prime Ministers We Never Had; let us have your nominations for the week after, Top 10 Most Over-Rated 1960s Bands, or suggest a Top 10 on Twitter @JohnRentoul or by email: email@example.com
Photographer who performed naked shoot in China's Forbidden City sparks outrage
Ed Miliband returns to the backbenches but it's all a bit awkward as he tries to avoid eye-contact with fellow Labour MPs
Man on naked bike ride gets ejected after becoming aroused
Charles Kennedy dead: Former Lib Dem leader dies at home aged 55 - latest news
Isis tortures 14-year-old Syrian boy and films it in graphic video for 'propaganda purposes'
- 1 Man on naked bike ride gets ejected after becoming aroused
- 2 Charles Kennedy dead: Former Lib Dem leader dies at home aged 55 - latest news
- 3 Ayyan Ali: Pakistan's top model now appears in the courtroom rather than on the catwalk
- 4 Fifa corruption: Europe plots to stage an 'alternative World Cup' in place of Russia 2018
- 5 Jaden Smith wears gender fluid dress to high school prom with Hunger Games actress
£50 - 60k (DOE) + Benefits & Bonus: Guru Careers: A PR Account Director / SAM ...
£32 - £37K + extensive benefits: Guru Careers: Research Analyst / Business Ins...
£18 - 20k: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Junior Designer / Design Graduate to...
£30 - 40k (DOE): Guru Careers: A Project Manager is needed to join a leading s...