Ministers set for 4.7% pay increase
Friday 18 November 1994
Whitehall and ministerial sources confirmed last night that MPs would be asked next week to approve the increase - more than twice the rate of inflation - on the grounds that it was only making up for a an earlier freeze in pay for MPs and ministers.
Barring a last-minute change of heart, most Cabinet ministers will resist a late appeal against the move by a number of their colleagues, including John Redwood, Secretary of State for Wales, on the grounds that it would set a bad example.
Tony Newton, Leader of the Commons, said yesterday that an order raising ministers' pay would be submitted to Parliament next Thursday. Current salary levels for ministers, over and above their pounds 31,687 earnings as an MP, range from pounds 18,130 for a junior whip to pounds 53,007 for the Prime Minister.
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 2 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 3 Stoke-on-Trent becomes first British city to be classified as 'disaster resilient' by the United Nations
- 4 Sir Winston Churchill’s family begged him not to convert to Islam, letter reveals
- 5 UK weather: 'Coldest night of the year' tonight as freezing temperatures plummet to -10C
Millions of Britons struggling to feed themselves and facing malnourishment
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Nigel Farage: Ukip leader named 'Briton of the year' by The Times
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk
£32000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Business Manager is required ...
£45000 - £55000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Panel Wireman required for small electro...
£25000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An SME based in East Cheshire, ...