Monetary Union: currency Countdown
Friday 03 October 1997
2. Governments to select before the end of 1997 the design of the national faces of euro coins - physical production of coins to start from next May.
3. Before end of 1997, commission to make a formal proposal on exact date for introduction of coins and notes
4. Member states to present by end 1997 their draft legislation for how national public administrations will make the transition to euros for tax declarations and accounting.
5. Public-debt issuers must clarify by the end of the year the treatment of outstanding stocks of debt and new issues of debt in euros after 1 January 1999.
6. Decisions on the tax consequences of the euro must be made known before the end of the year.
7. Computer and information systems will have to be adapted before end 1998
8. "EUR" currency code and symbol for the euro to be registered so that computer systems can be adapted.
9. Decision to be taken before end of the year on dual pricing displays in shops after launch of euro.
10. Technical work on coins to be finalised over next three months to include nickel content, quantities of coins to be produced by national mints, handling of used coins and issue of commemorative coins.
- 2 Purity balls: Girls in the US making virginity pledges as fathers vow to 'protect purity'
- 3 Picture of couple posing with beached dolphin 'that later died' causes outrage
- 4 16-year-old girl beaten and burned alive by lynch mob in Rio Bravo, Guatemala
- 5 Arsenal fan asks the Queen for tickets to the FA Cup final - gets a reply from Buckingham Palace
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Recruitment Consu...