Parliament Health: Hospital waiting lists `fiddled'
Wednesday 03 March 1999
Alan Duncan, the Tory health spokesman, claimed the "real" waiting lists stood more than 500,000 higher because the number of patients waiting to get on the waiting lists had almost doubled.
"These fiddled figures will fool no one. All Labour has done is shifted the bulge from waiting to an official list to waiting to get on it," he said during question time.
Earlier, the Secretary of State for Health insisted the drop was a "massive achievement" for the health service, after waiting lists rose by 11,500 in December.
The number of people waiting for treatment was 1,159,368 - the lowest figure for almost two years. The Government is now only 1,400 short of its pledge to cut waiting lists to their pre-election levels by next month, he said.
The number of people waiting more than 12 months for treatment also fell by 600 to 54,643 - the eighth consecutive reduction.
- 1 'Cheeky' Nando's under fire for apparently coming onto a customer on Twitter
- 2 Saudi Arabia mosque bombing: Two volunteer security guards hailed as heroes for stopping Isis suicide bomber reaching worshippers
- 3 Playboy model April Summers speaks out about being a victim of revenge porn
- 4 There is something wrong but very right about this Bible illustration
- 5 iPhone 'effective power' text: how to be safe from iOS bug that lets people crash your phone
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
EU referendum: David Cameron to deny EU migrants and under-18s the chance to vote
David Starkey 'tells Amal Clooney to shut up and stop over-promoting human rights'
£16500 - £18500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the leading Mercedes-Ben...
£27500 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£19500 - £23500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Experienced B2B Telemarketer wa...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This global company are looking for two Showro...