Thursday 09 June 1994
Deaths: Jan van Eyck, painter, buried 1441; Pope Gregory XVI, 1846; Charles John Huffham Dickens, novelist, 1870; William Maxwell Aitken, first Baron Beaverbrook, newspaper proprietor, 1964; Dame Sybil Thorndike, actress, 1976.
On this day: the first Book of Common Prayer was issued to all dioceses in the Church of England, 1549; the first ballistic-missile submarine was launched, the USS George Washington 1959; in Britain, the proceedings of the House of Commons were broadcast live for the first time, 1975.
Today is the Feast Day of St Columba of Iona, St Ephraem, St Pelagia of Antioch, Saints Primus and Felician, St Richard of Andria and St Vincent of Agen.
- 1 Top Gear team of Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May officially heading to Amazon Prime for new car show
- 2 Stuart Baggs: Apprentice star 'The Brand' found dead aged 27
- 3 How to cancel Amazon Prime: after Top Gear hiring, how to leave premium service
- 4 Tesco scraps 'unexpected item in the bagging area' as self-checkouts switch to less 'frustrating' audio
- 5 Living in Spain and commuting to London 'cheaper than actually working in London'
Yvette Cooper: Our choice is years of Tory rule under Jeremy Corbyn – or a return to a Labour government
Labour leadership contender Jeremy Corbyn says 'we can learn a great deal from Karl Marx'
Public anger after French sunbather beaten up by gang for wearing a bikini in Reims park
Labour leadership: New poll shows party is now even 'less electable' than under Ed Miliband
While we fixate on Calais, the Government is quietly deporting dozens of migrants on 'ghost flights'
Calais crisis: For desperate migrants it is 'England or death' as they brave dogs, riot police and speeding trains
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This company provides global satellite communi...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: A rare and exciting opportunity for a Practice...
£20000 - £23000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: An exciting opportunity...
£150 - £180 per day: Tradewind Recruitment: A mainstream Secondary school in C...