Bill Cosby alleged sexual assault victim calls to other accusers to file united lawsuit

The actor has firmly defended himself against the claims

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Louisa Moritz, one of the women to have accused Bill Cosby of sexual assault, is planning to sue the comedy actor and hopes to encourage other alleged victims to file a united lawsuit against him.

The actress, now 68, claims that the actor forced her to have oral sex with him in her dressing room ahead of her appearance on Johnny Carson's Tonight Show in 1971.

Moritz acted in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and starred in Seventies show Love American Style.

TMZ reports that she is currently in the process of interviewing LA lawyers to file a class action lawsuit and wants a minimum of nine ‘victims’ to join her.

The actress claims that she only came forward about her alleged experience last week, after other numerous victims accused Cosby of assault in the past few weeks. She maintains that she had blocked out the incident until that point.

The statute of limitations states prosecutors must filing charges within a certain time scale, in the US ranging from three months to 30 years.

However, Moritz has been advised that if a victim remembers the incident later in life due to repressed memories, they can attempt to sue as long as it’s within a year of their memory of the experience returning.

A string of women have accused Cosby of sexual assault over the past few months, including Kristina Ruehli, Joyce Emmons, Renita Chaney Hill, Angela Leslie, Lou Ferrigno, Louisa Moritz, Barbara Bowman, Therese Serignese and Janice Dickinson.

Another woman, former model Jewel Allison, came forward today, alleging that he drugged and assaulted her in his New York home in the Eighties. She called him “America’s greatest serial rapist”.

This weekend, Cosby defended himself against the claims, saying that “people need to fact check”.

“I know people are tired of me not saying anything, but a guy doesn’t have to answer to innuendos,” Cosby told Florida Today.

“People should fact check. People shouldn’t have to go through that and shouldn’t answer to innuendos.”

On Friday, he was given standing ovation when he performed at Melbourne, Florida.

The actor’s lawyer said that he will not be commenting on the “decade-old discredited” allegations.

“The fact that they are being repeated does not make them true,” read a statement on Cosby’s website.

“Mr. Cosby does not intend to dignify these allegations with any comment. He would like to thank all his fans for the outpouring of support and assure them that, at age 77, he is doing his best work.”

This week his lawyers also responded to a further allegation against him, saying it was “a complete lie”.

In 2006, Andrea Constand claimed that Cosby had drugged and assaulted her in his Philadelphia mansion in 2004 - allegations firmly denied by his lawyers. Over 13 alleged victims were proposing to testify but the civil case with Constand settled in 2006. The terms of the settlement remain undisclosed.

Cosby has never been arrested or charged with any offence arising from the allegations.

Comments