The French model at the centre of claims surrounding England captain John Terry's alleged affair was "upset" by thoughts of how his wife might be feeling, publicist Max Clifford said today.
Vanessa Perroncel, the ex-partner of Terry's England and former Chelsea team-mate Wayne Bridge, is at the heart of a media bidding war and has been offered £250,000 to tell her side of the story.
But Mr Clifford said today the underwear model was unhappy about the impact the alleged affair could be having on Terry's wife Toni and on Bridge.
"I know that she was speaking to Wayne - she speaks to Wayne all the time and obviously she is upset because he is upset," he told GMTV.
"She's obviously upset because of the kind of way that Toni must be feeling and she's not happy really that the fact that a close friend of hers, possibly - I'm hoping today to find out who it was - has betrayed her nationally in such a horrible way.
"So she's not feeling particularly happy about all of this and of course if this had been down to Vanessa, none of this would have been in the public domain."
He also brushed off allegations relating to any further misdemeanours.
"It's the first I've heard of it but never let the truth worry or spoil a good story.
"In view of the discussions we've had over the last two or three days, I think if that had been the case she might have mentioned it to me so I would be astonished if that is true."
And he denied suggestions that the model had received a "counter offer" from Terry to dissuade her from speaking to a national newspaper.
A final decision on whether she will sell her story is yet to be made, but the bidding offers could rise beyond the £250,000 mark, Mr Clifford said.
Yesterday he confirmed discussions had taken place with at least six media outlets bidding for her take on the events.
He has so far refused to be drawn on the veracity of the alleged affair but has insisted some press claims were incorrect.
And he said Ms Perroncel had to consider the welfare of her four-year-old son before she made a decision.
England boss Fabio Capello is believed to be weighing up Terry's future as captain.
It is understood Capello will have the final say on whether Terry can continue to lead the national team and he is expected to give his verdict well in advance of England's next match.
The FA has so far refused to comment but Sports Minister Gerry Sutcliffe said he would ask the governing body to explain its position on Terry, who failed with a High Court injunction to stop newspapers reporting claims about the alleged affair.
Mr Sutcliffe said if the allegations were proven, they called into question Terry's role as England captain.
Terry had been expected to lead the team to this summer's World Cup in South Africa.
Bridge, 29, who has separated from Ms Perroncel and who now plays for Manchester City, said he did not intend to comment on the reports for the sake of their son.
The allegations came to light after a gagging order was lifted by Mr Justice Tugendhat at the High Court in London on Friday.
Terry, 29, who was voted Dad of the Year last year in a Daddies Sauce survey, has two children with his wife, who has now fled the family home and reportedly flown to Dubai with the youngsters.
He has refused to comment on the allegations, but he is reportedly to miss one FA Cup match so he can spend Valentine's Day with his wife to try to save his marriage.
According to The Sun, he has been given "compassionate leave" by his club.
Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti has confirmed Terry would remain captain of the club but refused to discuss whether he should remain skipper of the national team.
Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini said some of his players wore shirts bearing the words Team Bridge in support of their team-mate during yesterday's Premier League win over Portsmouth.Reuse content