Rappers sought after fan is raped after gig

Two male members of N-Dubz may have witnessed sex attack at Butlins camp
Click to follow
The Independent Online

Two members of the MOBO award-winning hip-hop band N-Dubz are being sought as witnesses by detectives investigating a rape allegation.

Officers from Lincolnshire police want to speak to the group’s male rappers Dappy and Fazer, whose real names are Dino Contostavlos and Richard Rawson, after a woman was raped following a concert at the Butlins holiday resort in Skegness.

The musicians are wanted only as witnesses and not suspects. Police have already arrested and bailed a 22-year-old suspect, named as Junior Edwards, a DJ from Islington, north London.

The rape is said to have happened last Friday night or Saturday morning, after N-Dubz played a gig at the holiday camp. The incident is alleged to have occurred after the group went back to the accommodation with the suspect and three women in their early 20s from the London area. One of the women said she was raped and assaulted and the other two said they were assaulted.

Mr Edwards was arrested on Sunday at Skegness police station, but so far police have been unable to speak with the men from N-Dubz. A police spokeswoman said officers had been in touch with the band’s management but that no arrangements had been made for them to speak with the men.

She added: “Police have arrested a 22-year old man on suspicion of rape and common assault. The man was interviewed and released on police bail pending further enquiries. He is due to return to Skegness Police Station to answer bail on 15 February.

“Three further men from the Camden area of London are being sought as potential witnesses in relation to the allegations, which involved three women in their early-twenties and from the London area.”

As the men were wanted only as witnesses rather than suspects, the police are not in a position to force them to speak, but a source said: “At the moment we are willing to work with them, but our patience will run out.”

It is thought that the police’s efforts to speak to the band are being hampered as they have just started a UK tour. They performed in Southend-on-Sea in Essex last night, and remain on the road until 13 December when they are due to finish the tour in Folkestone, Kent.

The gig on Friday was organised by holiday companies 2wentys and Freestyle. About 4,500 people who went on the companies’ package tours in the summer attended the Naughty Reunion event at Butlins.

The reunions are held in different locations around the country, with the tag line: “A weekend you won’t remember but you’ll never forget”. Other acts booked to perform include the DJs Pete Tong and Judge Jules.

A spokeswoman said: “2wentys can confirm it is assisting the police with their inquiries following an incident that allegedly took place in the early hours of Saturday 14 November at its reunion event in Skegness. While the investigation is ongoing we are unable to comment further.”

N-Dubz were formed in 2000, since when they have had three top 40 singles. Their debut album, released last year, peaked at number 11. The group comprises of Dappy, Fazer and a female member called Tulisa.

The group’s manager, Jonathan Shalit, said yesterday: “The three members of N-Dubz were 100 per cent not involved and there is absolutely no suggestion that they were. The police have confirmed that no one else is being treated as suspects. Any suggestion otherwise is totally misleading in its inference.

“The police have asked people at the after show party, including N-Dubz, to voluntarily give witness statements in the next few days which they of course they willingly do. N-Dubz are very responsible to their young fans and have naturally told Junior Edwards that he is to keep well away until the charges are dropped.”

The group’s manager, Jonathan Shalit, said yesterday: “The three members of N-Dubz were 100 per cent not involved and there is absolutely no suggestion that they were. The police have confirmed that no one else is being treated as suspects. Any suggestion otherwise is totally misleading in its inference.

"The police have asked people at the after show party, including N-Dubz, to voluntarily give witness statements in the next few days which they of course they willingly do. N-Dubz are very responsible to their young fans and have naturally told Junior Edwards that he is to keep well away until the charges are dropped.”

Comments