Obituary: Earl Cawdor
Wednesday 23 June 1993
Despite this sort of carry-on, Hugh was no snob. I once told a 'guinea- pig', an airman whose burnt face had been repaired by Archie McIndoe, to call at Cawdor on his highland tour by caravan and he wrote to me that he had been shown round the house, surely one of the most glamorous in Europe, with every object wittily captioned in his lordship's calligraphic hand, immediately he announced himself.
Nothing in Hugh Cawdor's elegant form indicated a skilful satirist. I think of him after dinner at Cawdor reciting his Dunciad on the wedding of Patrick Lichfield to the daughter of the Duke of Westminster, and remember watching his stony face disintegrate every now and again into delighted and delightful laughter.
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 London council removes 'unacceptable' Stamford Hill posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
£40000 - £45000 per annum: Ashdown Group: HR Manager / Training Manager (L&D /...
£40000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: HR Manager - Edgware, Lon...
£32000 - £40000 per annum + bonus: Ashdown Group: HR Manager (Generalist) -Old...
£45000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Talent / Learning & Development Mana...