OBITUARY: Lord Mulley
Saturday 25 March 1995
In fact, in the years leading up to that time the Labour Party in Sheffield had become infected with the collective madness of the aptly called loony left.
In that period, before I finally despaired of sanity returning and joined the SDP, I found myself the only member prepared to stand up and defend the policies of the pre-1979 Labour government against a barrage of boos and catcalls from left-wing bigots. The prevailing atmosphere was well illustrated when, in response to an attempt I had made to get a hearing of the case against unilateralism, some poor deluded soul got up and declared, "Of course, right-wing Labour members are really Conservatives, Conservatives are really Fascists, and Liberals are the worst of the lot"; and was greeted with rapturous applause.
- 1 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 2 Tower Bridge glass walkway 'smashed' by night-time visitor dropping bottle of beer
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Rochester aftermath: Sacking of Emily Thornberry will make work of Labour MPs '10 times harder'
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
£30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Exciting career opportunity to join East...
£18000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An ambitious start-up company b...
VOLUNTARY ONLY - EXPENSES REIMBURSED: Reach Volunteering: Do you love the Engl...