Obituary: Oliver Tambo
Friday 30 April 1993
Adelaide Tambo created an oasis for him whenever he was home that was full of love, joy, good cheer and her own good cooking. The house always buzzed, not only with political activity and the comings and goings of grass-root activists as well as political dignitaries, but also with the children and their friends from the world of music, fashion and film.
Oliver Tambo was at the centre of it all, radiating a calm strength and a gentleness that came from a profound spirituality. He would pat the sofa next to him and amidst the surrounding hubbub it was as if no one and nothing else existed except the object of his attentions and the matter in hand. Conversation would range widely, not only the struggle against apartheid, to which he so selflessly dedicated his life, but music, religion, the children, and the future of the Labour Party.
Always there was that gentle humour, a ceaselessly inquiring mind that never lost its incisive command and a heart that remained, even amidst failing health, true and warm. I loved him.
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Bill Cosby: Isn’t it obvious why his accusers have stayed silent up until now?
- 4 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 5 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict
£30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Exciting career opportunity to join East...
£18000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An ambitious start-up company b...
VOLUNTARY ONLY - EXPENSES REIMBURSED: Reach Volunteering: Do you love the Engl...