Obituary: Professor Vivienne Mylne
Tuesday 14 July 1992
During her time in the French Department at University College London (1951-55) it was Vivienne who first had the idea of starting up student opera at the college. As a student in early post-war Oxford she had sung in the University Opera Club's British premiere production of Mozart's Idomeneo: and when she came to UCL as an Assistant Lecturer in French it was she who inspired and persuaded Anthony Addison (then the college's Musical Director) to found a tradition of student opera at the college which has now lasted and flourished for over 40 years.
Vivienne herself sang a leading role in the college's first ever production, a double bill in 1951 of Purcell's Dido and Aeneas and Mozart's Bastien und Bastienne.
As Anthony Addison himself has recently written, 'Of course, Vivienne Mylne was the real mover and shaker in the UCL opera business.'
- 1 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns aged 27
- 3 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
- 4 Nicki Minaj finally releases predictable 'Anaconda' video
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again. It would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish Independence Referendum: Salmond described as 'arrogant, ambitious and dishonest' by Scottish women
£350 - £400 per day: Orgtel: HR Analyst - Banking - Bristol - £350 - £400 per ...
£30000 - £35000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: HR Manager - HR Generalis...
£350 - £400 per day: Orgtel: Business Analyst - Banking - People Change - Lond...
£48000 - £50000 per annum + car allowance + benefits: Ashdown Group: HR Shared...