Religious leaders plead for intervention in hunger strike
Friday 31 January 1997
The Bishop of Rochester also expressed concern, and offered to be a go- between to save the lives of the men, who have been protesting for three weeks because they are being held at the Kent prison despite having committed no crimes. The six were still refusing food and fluids last night and were being treated in the prison's health centre.
The Conference of Religious in England and Wales, the co-ordinating body for some 180 orders of Anglican and Catholic monks and nuns, condemned the situation involving the asylum seekers as "inhumane". In a letter to Mr Howard, the conference's president, Sister Teresa Clements, wrote: "We wish to register our sadness and incomprehension that the inhumane situation at Rochester prison is being allowed to continue, thereby threatening the lives of 16 asylum seekers. We ask you, as Home Secretary, to prevent an immediate tragedy through your personal intervention."
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Guide dog mauled while helping owner deliver Christmas cards
Nelson Mandela’s complex bond with Britain
The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
Deadly ice storm pushes up US east coast as temperatures drop to -29C
10 stone five-year-old taken into care
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- < Previous
- Next >
£35000 - £55000 per annum + BONUS + BENEFITS: Harrington Starr: A leading prov...
£400 - £450 per day: Harrington Starr: Technical Architect - .NET Consultant ....
Negotiable: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Capita Education Resou...
£27000 - £31000 per annum + Benefits: Flight Centre Limited: Global travel com...