60-foot diplodocus dinosaur skeleton sold for £400,000 in Surrey
The skeleton, named Misty, went up for auction as part of a sale of natural history curiosities
Wednesday 27 November 2013
The gigantic skeleton of 160 million year old diplodocus has been auctioned today for £400,000 in Billinghurst, West Sussex.
Unearthed in the US, assembled in the Netherlands and on sale in the UK, the dinosaur is one of only six relatively complete diplodocus skeletons and was estimated to be worth between £400,000 and £600,000.
The 56-ft long skeleton was discovered by the sons of German palaeontologist Raimund Albersdoerfer during a dig in 2009. Hoping to keep his listless offspring busy, Albersdoerfer had suggested that they dig for bones in a neighbouring site, not thinking that they would find anything notable.
When they reported back to their father that they’d discovered a colossal leg bone all work on the main dig halted and Albersdoerfer spent the next nine weeks unearthing what remained of the gigantic creature.
The diplodocus in the process of being excavated in Wyoming. Image credit: SummersPlaceAuctions/BNPS
Errol Fuller, the curator at the Evolution Sale auction, said: "You are talking about a very rare item indeed. Even if you were lucky enough to find one in the first place, the digging out and the preparation then involved is an enormous undertaking.”
The rock that it was embedded in would have been extremely hard to break away from the bones, and you couldn't go at it with a sledge-hammer because the bones were vulnerable to breaking."
After being dug out from the site in Wyoming, the skeleton was sent to Rotterdam to be fitted in its metal frame by Aart Walen, an expert “dinosaur builder”. Luckily for Albersdoerfer the find was made on private land, allowing them to transport it out of the US.
Kate Diment from Summer Place Auctions in Billingshurst West Sussex dusts off the enormous Diplodocus longus skeleton. Image credit: PhilYeomans/BNPS The skeleton is made up of 100 bones and is 40 per cent original, with the other 60 per cent copied from previous specimens.
“There are probably about six of these in the great museums of the world, including in Pittsburg and Washington,” said Fuller.
Speaking to Sky News before the sale, auctioneer James Rylands said "I think we will see a lot of interest from the Far East and possibly the Middle East. You could easily see this dinosaur forming the centrepiece or a big shopping centre or in the atrium of an amazing hotel."
Britain First criticised for using actress's memory to draw attention to their 'hate-filled home page'
- 1 This 'woman calls police to order pizza' story isn't going where you're expecting
- 2 Axe wielding man shot dead after attacking four New York policemen on busy street
- 3 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 4 Jimmy Carr's Oscar Pistorius joke goes a bit too far at the Q Awards
- 5 Ottawa shootings: Bruce MacKinnon's cartoon is the perfect tribute to soldier Nathan Cirillo
Renee Zellweger on plastic surgery rumours: 'I'm living a more fulfilling life and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows'
FCKH8: YouTube reinstates provocative anti-sexism video showing young girls swearing
Axe wielding man shot dead after attacking four New York policemen on busy street
This 'woman calls police to order pizza' story isn't going where you're expecting
McKamey Manor: This 'extreme' haunted house is the stuff of nightmares
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Thousands with degenerative conditions classified as 'fit to work in future' – despite no possibility of improvement
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Attacks on 'Ukip Calypso' show how skewed people’s priorities are
£40000 - £50000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...
£30000 - £35000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...
£35000 - £40000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...
£47,334 - £59,058 per annum: Coventry University: The Centre for Agroecology, ...