Introducing the 'lonely small bandit': new species of dinosaur discovered in Madagascar
Friday 19 April 2013
A new species of dinosaur whose translated name means “lonely small bandit” has been discovered in Madagascar.
Dahalokely tokana was between nine and 14 feet (2.75 to 4.3 metres) long and lived around 90 million years ago.
Its name, derived from the Malagasy language, refers to the animal's carnivorous diet and the fact that it evolved when India and Madagascar were one landmass cut off from the rest of the world.
Scientists believe it belonged to a family of dinosaurs known as the abelisauroids.
Dahalokely could be an ancestor of later dinosaurs that lived both in Madagascar and India, said the researchers writing in the journal Public Library of Science ONE.
Lead scientist Dr Andrew Farke, from the Raymond M. Alf Museum of Paleontology in California, US, said: "We had always suspected that abelisauroids were in Madagascar 90 million years ago, because they were also found in younger rocks on the island. Dahalokey nicely confirms this hypothesis."
Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
Royal Marine Sgt Alexander Blackman jailed for life for murder of Afghan insurgent
Ja Rule forced to deny leaving wife for prison cell mate
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Crash pilot who threatened Ukip leader Nigel Farage found dead
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
£34999 - £43001 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: A Top 10 firm in ...
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C++ Software E...
£45000 - £65000 per annum + Bonus + 28 days holiday: Harrington Starr: Java In...
£40000 - £65000 per annum + Bonus + 28 days holiday: Harrington Starr: Senior ...