World's first quadruple limb transplant fails
A hospital in Turkey which claimed to have performed the world's first quadruple limb transplant has announced that the operation failed.
A team of 52 doctors at Hacettepe University Hospital in Ankara performed the pioneering surgery on Sevket Cavdar, 27, on Friday night. Two arms and two legs were attached to Mr Cavdar's body, but had to be removed days later after "metabolic complications" meant the limb tissue was incompatible with his own.
"The science council [of the hospital] decided to remove the [limbs] one by one," the hospital said yesterday. "Our patient is now in the intensive care unit. The critical process is still continuing," it said.
Doctors took the decision to remove one of the transplanted legs on Sunday after Mr Cavdar's "cardiovascular system was unable to sustain the limb", the hospital said. He was said to be in a "stable" condition after the procedure, hours before it was decided that all of the limbs would have to be removed. Mr Cavdar lost his own limbs after he was electrocuted in an accident in 1998.
A triple limb transplant performed two months ago at a hospital in the city of Antalya also failed.
That's some guestlist! Stunning images show huge dynastic wedding between Ultra-Orthodox Jewish families which attracted 25,000 guests
'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Bloody attack brings terror to capital’s streets
German chancellor Angela Merkel named most powerful woman in the world by Forbes - again
World news in pictures
Eyewitness gives extraordinary account of her confrontation with Woolwich attackers
- 1 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Bloody attack brings terror to capital’s streets
- 2 Mothers' diets may harm IQs in two-thirds of babies
- 3 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
- 4 Eyewitness gives extraordinary account of her confrontation with Woolwich attackers
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL might have a sinister plan as a soldier is murdered in suspected Islamic terrorist attack
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.