Six victims named

Click to follow
A college principal, a successful environmental lawyer, a company director, a former Army officer, a council leisure and tourism executive and a Swedish broadcasting journalist died in the 10.32 Swansea to Paddington express.

Every one was a private tragedy.

Clive Brain, 57, principal of Swindon College since 1984, had only just begun travelling first-class so he could work better. He was "a lovely, caring man who loved his family and his job," said his wife Gill. He was well-known and well-liked, and had "many, many friends".

His wife, their two daughters and son waited for news until 1am yesterday when police told them he was one of the victims. "The police said as far as they knew he had died instantly. That is some consolation for us. The thought of him being trapped and injured in the carriage all those hours and suffering is just unbearable."

Peter Kavanagh, 30, of Laindon, Essex, had a brilliant future as an environmental lawyer in the City. His mother, Maureen Kavanagh, said: "Peter lived for his work. He loved it and everything about working in the City. But he always phoned me when he was out of town.

"The phone started to break up because he was in a tunnel and he rang me back again. I told him he should get a better phone. His last words to me were `Love you, see you later'. He always said that, not in a sentimental way, he was just a very lovely boy and my best friend."

The family of Antony Petch, 52, of Thornbury, Bristol, were too distressed to speak. He was a director of the agricultural products company Dalgety's, and was on his way to a business meeting in London. He leaves a widow, Joan, and two sons. Fellow director Paul Kirk said Mr Petch would be sorely missed. "We are all very upset. He was a diligent and highly capable person who did excellent work for the company."

David Eustace, 53, of Deal, Kent, had been a regular Army officer until three years ago, and was a Lieutenant Colonel in the Territorial Army based at Shrivenham in Oxford. His family was too upset to speak, said a Ministry of Defence spokesman. "The Army is very saddened at the news." Gerard Traynor, 38, the leisure and tourism officer with Easington District Council, Co Durham, was among a four-man council delegation returning home from Swansea. Mr Traynor, who lived in Boldon, Tyne and Wear, with his wife Jillian and four children, was described by his brother John as "a most loving, fantastic and generous man - an inspiration to me. He was a devoted family man, and his wife and all the rest of us are devastated."

Finland-born Marcus Olander, 60, was returning to London after covering the Wales devolution vote for Swedish Broadcasting. His colleague Berit Hookway said: "We have suffered a sad loss. Marcus was a very professional journalist with a fine sense of humour."