50-year-old woman dies after explosion in Crawley
A 50-year-old woman has died after an explosion on New Year's eve.
Emergency services were called to 31 Banks Road, Crawley, West Sussex, after the incident at 12:30pm, where the woman was treated by paramedics. She died at the scene.
It is not believed that there were any other people in the house according to the authorities.
The police said only the inside of the house was damaged, and no surrounding properties were affected.
A Sussex Police spokesman said: “It is unclear at this stage what caused the explosion but it is not believed to be suspicious.
“Drivers are asked to avoid the immediate area for the time being as there are some local road closures while the scene is examined.”
Additional reporting by Press Association
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 'Alien thigh bone' on Mars: Excitement from alien hunters at 'evidence' of extraterrestrial life
- 3 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 4 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 5 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27