Barry George to sue for compensation
Saturday 19 May 2012
Barry George, who spent eight years in prison after being wrongly convicted of the murder of the BBC TV presenter Jill Dando, is to fight a test case for compensation.
Mr George, 52, who was cleared after a retrial in 2008, will be one of five lead cases to be heard at the High Court in London this autumn, a judge ruled yesterday. The five will test the law on who is now entitled to payments in "miscarriages of justice" cases following a landmark decision by the Supreme Court in May last year.
Mr George's claim for damages for lost earnings and wrongful imprisonment was rejected by the Ministry of Justice on the grounds that he was not legally entitled to compensation. Gordon Bishop, appearing for Mr George, from Fulham, west London, told Mr Justice Irwin his client was "very happy" to put himself forward as a lead case.
Nick Baird, solicitor for Mr George, said that if Mr George eventually wins his claim the amount he can receive will be capped at £500,000.
Miss Dando, 37, was shot dead outside her home in Fulham in April 1999.
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'does not see a problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 A third of employers never check job applicants' qualifications, survey finds