A man and a woman have been charged in connection with the death of a two-year-old girl who had ingested methadone.
Barry Jones, 41, and Michelle King, 29, of Blackpool, were both charged with causing or allowing the death of a child by means of an unlawful act contrary to Section 5 of the Domestic Violence Crime and Victims Act 2004.
Sophie died on Tuesday night at the Blackpool Victoria Hospital after being taken there from her home. The cause of her death is still to be established.
The two people charged in relation to her death have been remanded in custody and are due to appear at Blackpool Magistrates' Court on Saturday, Lancashire Police said.
Lancashire Police said in a statement: “At 11.44pm on Tuesday 4 March, police were called by the ambulance service to an address on Jameson Street in Blackpool where Sophie Jones had been taken ill.
“The two year old was taken by ambulance to Blackpool Victoria Hospital but sadly died.
“Toxicology tests have confirmed Sophie had ingested methadone, however the cause of her death has still not been ascertained.”
Methadone is mainly used in the treatment of heroin addiction. Oral doses of methadone can stabilise patients by mitigating withdrawal symptoms.Reuse content