Boy, 15, arrested over bus death

Click to follow
The Independent Online

A 15-year-old boy was being questioned by police today on suspicion of murdering a teenager who was run over and killed by a bus.

Murder squad detectives believe Ezekiel Amosu, 17, from Walthamstow, east London, may have been trying to escape from a gang who attempted to rob him moments before the collision.

The student suffered fatal crush injuries when he was hit by the westbound number 123 in Walthamstow on Monday night. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Officers have been examining whether the young man was running away or even pushed when the crash took place.

Borough officers sealed off Forest Road between the junctions with Blackhorse Road and Palmerston Road, where the incident happened at about 7.15pm.

They brought in detectives from the Metropolitan Police's homicide and serious crime command after reports that there had been a fight in the street moments earlier.

Det Ch Insp John Sandlin, who is leading the investigation, said the teenager was walking with four friends when a gang demanded his mobile phone.

He said the confrontation took place in a courtyard area on Forest Road and the victim then ran away towards the bus.

Mr Sandlin said: "What happened exactly is unclear at this stage but we believe that he may have been the victim of an attempted robbery minutes beforehand.

"The area would have been quite busy with people at that time of night and I would urge anyone with information to call police as soon possible."

Witnesses told police a group of youths ran away after the bus hit the victim.

The number 123 runs between Ilford and Wood Green via Walthamstow and Tottenham.

The 15-year-old suspect was arrested at an address in Walthamstow yesterday and taken into custody at an east London police station.

A Met spokesman said last night: "Officers investigating the death of 17-year-old student Ezekiel Amosu who died after he was in collision with a bus in Walthamstow have arrested a male youth on suspicion of murder.

"The male, aged 15 years, was arrested at an address in E17 and remains in custody at an east London police station.

"A post mortem conducted today at Walthamstow Mortuary gave cause of death as crush injuries."

Friends paid tribute to the young victim on Facebook.

One said: "He was the kindest guy ever known to anyone, RIP big man your missed much."

And Funke Awoyinka said: "May his soul rest in peace."

Photos showed him smiling warmly as he listened to music and joking around with coloured pens stuck in his hair.

Anyone who believes they can help is asked to contact the incident room on 0208 345 3865 or to call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.