Burglar guilty of murdering 85-year-old in her bungalow
A burglar was convicted today of strangling an 85-year-old woman in her bungalow then torching it to destroy evidence of her murder.
Steven Hodgson, 33, of South Bank, Middlesbrough, was found guilty following a six-day trial at Teesside Crown Court of killing popular church-goer Patricia Thompson last September.
He broke into her home after checking the area of sheltered accommodation where she lived happily on Google Maps.
Mr Justice Davis sentenced him to life with a minimum term of 34 years.
Torturing his victim to make her give up her bank card PIN was an aggravating factor, the judge said.
"I can detect at no stage the slightest degree of remorse on your part at the death of this lovely woman," he said.
The defendant did not react when he was sentenced.
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
Nelson Mandela dead: South Africa's first black president and anti-apartheid icon dies at 95
Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
UK weather: Thousands evacuated along East Coast of England as more surge tides forecast
Nelson Mandela death: his life in pictures
- < Previous
- Next >