Businessman bailed over £115m Ponzi scam
Friday 03 September 2010
A businessman appeared in court today accused of masterminding a sprawling £115 million scam that claimed a series of high-profile victims.
Kautilya Nandan Pruthi, 39, is charged with 30 fraud offences including running a bogus business, money laundering and obtaining money by deception.
He is also accused of participating in a fraudulent business, fraud, obtaining money by deception, unauthorised regulated activity and concealing criminal property from his base in Knightsbridge, central London, between August 2005 and June 2009.
He was charged in July following an investigation into a gang suspected of cheating at least 600 people around the world.
People were persuaded to invest in an apparently high-yield fund, but the money was allegedly siphoned off to fuel the lavish lifestyles of those behind it.
Victims are believed to include a 1960s pop star, a household name from television and the cricketer and Strictly Come Dancing champion Darren Gough.
The swindle is said to be one of the biggest "Ponzi" frauds, a crime made famous by disgraced Wall Street broker Bernard Madoff, yet detected in Britain.
Pruthi appeared at City of London Magistrates' Court. A court official said his bail had been renewed and he would appear at the court again on October 29.
Italian police 'reveal' what Jesus looked like as a young boy
Who should I vote for? The Independent quiz matches best political party for undecided voters ahead of the general election
Mysterious 'X-Files' sounds heard miles above the Earth
Garland shooting: Isis claims attack on Prophet Mohamed cartoon contest in Texas as its first action on US soil
Met Gala 2015: Beyoncé manages to out-skimp Rihanna, Miley and Kim Kardashian combined with near-naked ensemble
In defence of liberal democracy
Over 50,000 families shipped out of London boroughs in the past three years due to welfare cuts and soaring rents
EU asylum policy is 'a direct threat to our civilisation', says Nigel Farage
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
General election live: SNP suspends two members for disrupting Labour rally
- 2 Italian police 'reveal' what Jesus looked like as a young boy
- 3 General Election 2015: 14-year-old boy asks Nick Clegg – 'can you kill Katie Hopkins?'
- 4 University student in court for allegedly covering housemates' food in window cleaner and spit
- 5 Ryan Gosling posts tribute to 'Ryan Gosling Won't Eat His Cereal' creator Ryan McHenry