Call for shoppers to return stolen cash
Thursday 19 August 2010
Shoppers have been asked by the police to hand back hundreds of pounds in cash thrown in the air by a bank robber moments after he strolled out of the branch.
After telling staff at a branch of Barclays in Winchester he had a gun, and threatening to shoot them, the robber calmly walked out with £1,600 in his hand.
He then strolled 50 yards along the street and threw the money into the air, sitting down and crossing his legs, as the notes fluttered to the ground.
Shoppers scooped up the notes, and many hurried away. It is understood that only about £300 has been recovered so far.
Detectives are now calling on members of the public who picked up the money to return it to their nearest police station.
Detective Inspector Andy Symes, of Hampshire Police, said: "We would ask that any members of the public who have found money in Jewry Street, or surrounding streets, to please hand the money in to their nearest police station, as this money is evidence in our investigation."
Exclusive: World’s most pristine waters are polluted by US Navy human waste
Chicago river turns green to mark Saint Patrick's Day
Saint Patrick's Day: As Google Doodle celebrates the patron saint of Ireland, here are 10 things you didn't know about the man himself
Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Did jetliner fly into area controlled by Taliban? Net widens after claims final satellite signal could have been sent from the ground
Nasa-funded study warns of ‘collapse of civilisation’ in coming decades
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
Ukip and Nigel Farage on course for remarkable victory in European elections
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
Tony Benn was entirely ineffectual - and usually wrong
The rise of Ukip: Study warns Labour that Eurosceptic party's electoral base now 'more working class than any of the main parties'
Europeans have ‘got whiter’ due to natural selection in past 5,000 years, scientists say
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Gender-specific books demean all our children. So the Independent on Sunday will no longer review anything marketed to exclude either sex
- 3 Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Did jetliner fly into area controlled by Taliban? Net widens after claims final satellite signal could have been sent from the ground
- 4 Nasa-funded study warns of ‘collapse of civilisation’ in coming decades
- 5 'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers