Creswell Crags in Derbyshire sealed off after body found
Wednesday 29 August 2012
A beauty spot popular with tourists has been sealed off by police after a woman's body was found in a river.
Derbyshire Police said detectives were keeping an open mind about the circumstances surrounding the death at Creswell Crags, near the border with Nottinghamshire.
The body, found shortly before 6.30pm last night, is believed to be that of a 54-year-old from Nottinghamshire.
Officers are awaiting the results of a post-mortem examination and are appealing for anyone who visited the crags yesterday to contact them.
Detective Chief Inspector Andy Sproson, from Derbyshire Constabulary, said: "Unfortunately we have had to ask for the crags to be closed to the public while we continue our enquiries.
"We apologise for any inconvenience to tourists and local people."
Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
Michael Brown shooting: Ferguson police shoot and kill second young black man
James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
Iraq crisis: Islamic State's message to America - 'We will drown you all in blood'
Ferguson: In the heartlands of America, a descent into madness
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 2 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 3 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermesiter and vodka
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations