Creswell Crags in Derbyshire sealed off after body found
A beauty spot popular with tourists has been sealed off by police after a woman's body was found in a river.
Derbyshire Police said detectives were keeping an open mind about the circumstances surrounding the death at Creswell Crags, near the border with Nottinghamshire.
The body, found shortly before 6.30pm last night, is believed to be that of a 54-year-old from Nottinghamshire.
Officers are awaiting the results of a post-mortem examination and are appealing for anyone who visited the crags yesterday to contact them.
Detective Chief Inspector Andy Sproson, from Derbyshire Constabulary, said: "Unfortunately we have had to ask for the crags to be closed to the public while we continue our enquiries.
"We apologise for any inconvenience to tourists and local people."
- 1 Heading for America? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 2 Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 'Swivel-gate': David Cameron goes to war with the press over 'swivel-eyed loons' slur
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
Excellent Package: Austen Lloyd: This is a senior appointment with huge potent...
£28000 - £31500 per annum + benefits: Randstad Education Newcastle: Permanent ...
£50000 - £58000 per annum + Benefits and Bonus: Progressive Recruitment: SAP F...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + BENS: Progressive Recruitment: Drupal Developer A ...