Doctor guilty of spiking lover's drinks
Married hospital consultant Dr Edward Erin is facing jail today after being convicted of attempting to spike his pregnant lover's drinks to make her lose her baby.
Erin was found guilty of two charges of attempting to spike Bella Prowse's Starbucks coffee and orange juice.
But an Old Bailey jury found him not guilty of spiking her Earl Grey tea, and could not reach a verdict on a charge of procuring drugs to induce an abortion.
The court was told Miss Prowse, 33, became suspicious and did not consume the drinks, which were later found to contain abortion-inducing drugs.
Erin, 44, of Kensington, west London, was remanded in custody until November 16 for sentencing.
Miss Prowse, who was in the public gallery, sobbed as she waiting for the verdicts and buried her head in her lap.
Her friends clapped when the guilty verdicts were announced.
Married father-of-two Erin was found guilty by the jury of six women and five men of attempting to spike the coffee on February 7, last year, and by a majority of 10-1 on attempting to spike the orange juice on February 8.
Judge Richard Hone told Erin: "A custodial sentence is virtually inevitable."
Erin showed no emotion as he was led to the cells.
Thailand deaths: Pair's bloodied bodies found naked on Koh Tao beach
Jihadi John': MI5 may have identified Isis militant who killed David Haines but options limited
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Scottish independence: Police will be on high alert on Friday whatever the result
The wedding photo from Ground Zero: A shot in the dark
- 1 Scottish independence: Ireland since 1919 is a lesson for Scotland in what a Yes vote means
- 2 Thailand deaths: Pair's bloodied bodies found naked on Koh Tao beach
- 3 Vogue under fire for 'Big Booty' article
- 4 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
- 5 Kanye West stops concert after two fans don't stand up - doesn't realise one is in wheelchair and the other disabled