Doreen Lawrence 'furious' after top detective forced to quit investigation into son's murder

Mother of murdered teenager Stephen accuses Metropolitan Police of winding down investigation

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Doreen Lawrence has accused the Metropolitan Police of planning to “wind down” the investigation into her son’s murder after the removal of a trusted senior police officer.

Baroness Lawrence, who was honoured with a peerage for her years of campaigning for justice for her son Stephen, said she was “furious” that Detective Chief Inspector Clive Driscoll was leaving the investigation.

She told the Daily Mirror: “It seems the clearest sign yet that the Met is planning on winding down the investigation and that is wrong.

“Having battled for so many years, I want to see full justice for Stephen.”

In January 2012, Gary Dobson and David Norris were sentenced to life in prison after being found guilty of involvement in the 1993 stabbing.

The cold case was reopened after a forensic review found significant new scientific evidence on clothing seized from their homes following the murder.

Police believe more people were involved but no other suspects have been prosecuted.

A public inquiry headed by Sir William Macpherson in 1998 found the Metropolitan Police was ”institutionally racist” in its handling of the original investigation.

Several investigations into professional standards and misconduct within the force have also been carried out.

Mrs Lawrence, 61, said: “I’ve always considered the convictions in 2012 as a partial justice and I don’t want the investigation stopped until all those responsible for Stephen’s death have been jailed.

“Clive has been an integral part of that process to bring two of the killers to justice – no one knows the case better than he does and to take him off it is wrong.

“He is the first officer I have trusted and the only one to have delivered in the investigation.”

DCI Driscoll has been working on the case, codenamed Operation Fishpool, for nearly eight years and was instrumental in securing the two convictions.

He told the Daily Mirror the decision to take him off the investigation was “made above” him but said he would “always help Stephen's family and friends” if he can.

A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said DCI Driscoll is retiring in June after more than 30 years in the service.

He added: “The MPS remain firmly committed to retaining a dedicated team of detectives to continue the investigation into the death of Stephen Lawrence.

“We have put in place a succession plan, which includes the appointment of a new experienced senior investigating officer, which we will discuss privately with the family and other interested parties.

“DCI Driscoll will continue to retain a key role in the Lawrence investigation until his retirement in June, which will include a thorough handover to his successor.”

18-year-old aspiring architect Mr Lawrence was stabbed to death by a group of up to six white youths in an unprovoked racist attack as he waited at a bus stop in Eltham, London, on 22 April 1993.