Father urges son's killers to come forward

Click to follow
The Independent Online

The father of a schoolboy who was stabbed to death in a busy street by a gang of teenagers described yesterday how his son hoped one day to be a pilot.

Yemurai Kanyangarara, 16, bled to death following the assault moments after getting off a bus in Welling, south-east London on Friday. Police described the incident as among the most brutal ever witnessed on the streets of the capital.

Yesterday Kelton Kanyangarara, a mechanic living in Leicester where his son had recently moved to be with him, urged Yemurai's killers to come forward. "For the good of everyone, for him and the family. They are not going to be able to run away forever. They are going to get caught," he said.

Mr Kanyangarara, who moved to Britain from Zimbabwe in 1998, said Yemurai was a quiet boy who had never been in trouble.

The Arsenal-supporting teenager arrived from Zimbabwe in 2005 to join his father and mother, a hospital worker. "He wanted to do his GCSEs and go to school. He wanted to be a pilot and go to college," his father said. "We were very close and obviously I am very sad and very angry."

Mr Kanyangarara declined to comment on claims that his son, who has a younger half brother and sister, had moved to Leicester to get away from violence in London. He had returned to his mother's home in Welling to sit his exams, it was claimed.

Yemurai is the eighth teenager to be murdered in London this year. Yesterday young people went to the spot where he died to pay tribute, describing him as "funny, caring and loyal".

Detectives said they were seeking three boys aged around 15 in connection with the murder. All are believed to have been known by their victim.

Detective Chief Inspector Mark Dunne said: "We currently have three frightened teenage boys who we know have left home and are on the run from police, possibly hiding in the Greater London area. This cannot go on forever and sooner or later they will have to speak to me."