'Gangland-style' shooting victim named
A man shot dead in the street has been named by police.
Wayne Basnett, 30, from Widnes, Cheshire, is thought to have been targeted in a gangland-style execution.
Mr Basnett, a father of one, was found collapsed with massive head injuries on Pepper Street, Hale, shortly after midnight yesterday.
Residents in the village, near Widnes, alerted police after hearing gunshots.
Mr Basnett was taken to hospital, where he later died.
Sources said he was known to police and may have been the victim of a drugs-related turf war.
A post-mortem examination carried out last night revealed he died of a single gunshot wound to the head, Cheshire Police said.
A spokeswoman appealed for witnesses or anybody with information about the incident to contact the force on 0845 458 0000 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
Europeans have ‘got whiter’ due to natural selection in past 5,000 years, scientists say
Fracking is turning the US into a bigger oil producer than Saudi Arabia
The rise of Ukip: Study warns Labour that Eurosceptic party's electoral base now 'more working class than any of the main parties'
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Tony Benn meets Ali G: Watch Labour veteran burn Sacha Baron Cohen
- 3 Women do experience two different types of orgasm, study reveals
- 4 Istanbul protesters take 'Ellen selfie' from the back of a police van
- 5 Lady Gaga has struggled with eating disorders in the past, so it's indefensible that she's glamourising bulimia in her SXSW set