Girl found dead with injured mother
A four-year-old girl has been found dead and her mother is in hospital with serious injuries, police said today.
Officers were called to a house in Lea Mount Drive, Bury, Greater Manchester, at about 6.50pm yesterday.
They discovered the girl's body and a woman in her 30s suffering serious injuries resulting from a suspected suicide bid.
The pair were named by Greater Manchester Police as Chloe Burke and her mother Dawn Makin, who remains in a critical condition in hospital.
Detectives are trying to establish how Chloe was killed but they are not seeking anyone else over her death.
Chief Superintendent Jon Rush, of Greater Manchester Police, said: "This is an absolutely devastating time for the family of Chloe and her mother and, while we are not looking for anyone else in connection with this, it is important that we find out for them exactly what happened.
"A team of detectives is working to find out what led up to this tragedy and specially trained officers are working closely with the family."
A post-mortem examination is due to be carried out on Chloe later today.
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Sickness and disability benefits could be reduced by £30 a week as part of £12bn welfare cuts
Greece debt crisis: Angela Merkel and Francois Hollande issue Athens with 24-hour ultimatum to avoid crashing out of the euro
Greece crisis: Referendum exposes a gaping hole at the heart of the European Union – its lack of genuine legitimacy
- 1 Florida man sentenced to two-and-a-half years for having sex on the beach in front of a child
- 2 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 3 Nick Kyrgios calls former Olympian Dawn Fraser a 'blatant racist' after she tells Wimbledon star to 'go back where their parents came from'
- 4 World learns of app that shows you who unfriended you on Facebook, app promptly crashes
- 5 Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM