Hacking trial: 'No smoking gun' to link Rebekah Brooks to conspiracy
James Cusick is political correspondent of The Independent and The Independent on Sunday. As an experienced member of the lobby, he has previously worked at The Sunday Times and the BBC. His career as a journalist has been split between print and television, including senior positions as producer with Sir David Frost and at BBC Newsnight. He is also an award-winning golf and travel writer, working for over a decade as the UK contributing editor for one of the USA’s leading golf magazines. He broadcasts regularly for the BBC and CNN. He lives in London.
Tuesday 20 May 2014
The prosecution case against Rebekah Brooks has found “no smoking gun” that identifies her as the leader of a phone hacking conspiracy that began at the News of the World when she was editor, a jury at the Old Bailey has been told.
Beginning his closing speech at the phone hacking trial, Jonathan Laidlaw QC, counsel for Mrs Brooks, said the former chief executive of News International had been disadvantaged from the beginning of the trial, which has now lasted seven months.
He said his client had suffered from media cruelty, vitriol, inaccuracy and biased commentary which meant, he said, that “she [Mrs Brooks] is some yards from the starting line,” and “cannot win”.
Mr Laidlaw told the jury that he was not asking for “special treatment” for Mrs Brooks, but posed the question to the court: “can anyone be independent enough, strong enough” to avoid being influenced by media output?
On day 118 of the trial, which began in October last year, Mr Laidlaw accused the prosecution of basing its case against Mrs Brooks on “entirely circumstantial” evidence.
He told the jury that they “cannot rely” on what the prosecution had told them, that phone hacking had not started in earnest during Mrs Brooks’ editorship, and that the convicted private investigator, Glenn Mulcaire, had not been a “prolific hacker” during the Brooks years at the NOTW.
Mr Laidlaw is expected to spend one more day addressing the jury on Mrs Brooks case. Closing speeches from the lawyers of the six others defendants will follow. All the charges against them are denied.
Mr Justice Saunders is expected to spend three to four days summing up the months of evidence before the jury retire, which is expected to be around 9 June.
The trial continues.
Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
UK weather: Snow to fall in the coming week with sub-zero temperatures to last until early February
Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
Iraq invasion 2003: The bloody warnings six wise men gave to Tony Blair as he prepared to launch poorly planned campaign
Ellen DeGeneres leads Johnny Depp, Gwyneth Paltrow and Paul Bettany in revealing game of Never Have I Ever
Nigel Farage: NHS might have to be replaced by private health insurance
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
George Galloway condemns 'racist, Islamophobic, hypocritical rag' Charlie Hebdo at freedom of speech rally
Islamic history is full of free thinkers - but recent attempts to suppress critical thought are verging on the absurd
- 1 The truth about 'girl things': Three cheers for Heather Watson's honesty
- 2 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 5 Men behaving badly: Urinating while standing, 'manspreading' and the gendering of selfishness