Hacking trial: Rebekah Brooks ‘had list of alleged victims’
Cahal Milmo is the chief reporter of The Independent and has been with the paper since 2000. He was born in London and previously worked at the Press Association news agency. He has reported on assignment at home and abroad, including Rwanda, Sudan and Burkina Faso, the phone hacking scandal and the London Olympics. In his spare time he is a keen runner and cyclist, and keeps an allotment.
Tuesday 21 January 2014
A notebook containing the names of alleged phone-hacking victims was found by police at the London home of Rebekah Brooks and her husband Charles, the Old Bailey heard.
The existence of the notebook, which contained the names of royal aides Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton and Paddy Harverson, was disclosed as police gave details of items seized when detectives searched Ms Brooks’ homes and offices.
They said the notebook was discovered, along with a torn-up draft of a resignation letter found in a bin, at the couple’s flat in Chelsea, west London, shortly after she stepped down as chief executive of Rupert Murdoch’s media group News International in July 2011.
The searches were followed eight months later by a second raid on the Brooks’s weekend home in Oxfordshire by officers investigating an alleged conspiracy to pervert justice, jurors heard.
The 10 officers taking part in the dawn raid in March 2012 were helped by Ms Brooks, who pointed out property they might want to take away, the court was told. Jonathan Laidlaw, QC, who represents Ms Brooks, said her husband, a racehorse-trainer, was concerned for his 81-year-old mother living next door as the search continued at 5am.
Detective Constable Karyn Millar, one of the officers, said Mr Brooks was allowed to call his mother before police knocked on her door.
Mr Laidlaw accused police of leaking news of the search, which was reported on television not long after officers arrived. He said Ms Brooks said at the time: “We did not know this was going to happen. We have given our phones. It must have been you, the police, that are leaking this.”
Police seized a laptop, two iPads, two BlackBerry mobile phones and four iPods. One of the items taken was examined and returned after the searches in 2011.
Ms Brooks, 44, and her husband, 50, both of Churchill, Oxfordshire, deny conspiring to pervert justice between 15 July and 19 July 2011.
Seven defendants deny all the charges against them. The trial continues.
Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
Rob Lowe hits out at White House decision not to meet Israeli leader
Iraq invasion 2003: The bloody warnings six wise men gave to Tony Blair as he prepared to launch poorly planned campaign
Winston Churchill: From accusations of anti-Semitism to the blunt refusal that led to the deaths of millions
British Muslim leaders outraged after Eric Pickles says followers of Islam should 'prove their identity'
UK terror fears: My jihadist son returned from Syria mentally scarred – now he is being ignored
Nigel Farage: NHS might have to be replaced by private health insurance
Billy Crystal: 'Stop shoving gay sex scenes in my face'
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
- 1 The truth about 'girl things': Three cheers for Heather Watson's honesty
- 2 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 4 Tennis fan suing Australian Open organisers for 'failing to shade spectators' during Murray match
- 5 Syrian refugee child beaten by Istanbul Burger King manager for eating customer’s leftover food