High Court once again rejects investigation into Batang Kali 'massacre' during Malayan Emergency

 

Unbowed after six decades, the elderly descendants of 24 Malaysian plantation workers killed by British soldiers insisted they would fight on despite being refused a public investigation yet again today.

As the High Court blocked their attempts to force a public inquiry into what they insist was the massacre of innocents at Batang Kali, Malaya, in December 1948, the victim’s relatives – young children when the men of the village were killed – said they would be seeking permission to appeal.

The High Court hearing had nevertheless exposed “decades of Government-sanctioned deceit”, they insisted, and lifted the stigma attached to the dead by rejecting the official version of events.

“Though the court also found the Government did not need to hold an inquiry on technical grounds, the fact is that the Scots Guards shot innocent civilians, my father included. That truth demands that there be a meaningful apology to me and all those who lost their fathers and breadwinners,” said Lim Kok, 73, whose father Lim Tian Shui was found beheaded.

The events happened during the Malayan Emergency, when British troops were sent to combat a communist insurgency. On the 11 December 1948, a patrol from the 2nd Battalion, the Scots Guards, mostly national servicemen with limited training and led by a 22-year-old Lance Sergeant, were deployed to Batang Kali a village on a rubber plantation. Having pursued but lost two uniformed insurgents, the soldiers shot a young man called Loh Kit Lin.

The villagers were then detained and interrogated, the High Court heard. “There were simulated executions to frighten them, causing trauma,“ said judges in their ruling. ”The police officers secured information from one of the males, Cheung Hung, about armed insurgents who occasionally visited the village to obtain food supplies. This information was passed to the patrol.“

The next day women and children along with one traumatised man were driven away while the men were held. ”The hut with 23 men was unlocked. Within minutes all of the 23 men were dead as a result of being shot by the patrol,“ added judges. ”The inhabitants' huts were then burned down and the patrol returned to its base.“

It was claimed that the dead had been trying to escape, though two decades later five patrol members confessed to deliberate execution during an subsequently abandoned police investigation.

Despite a tireless battle by survivors and descendants, both Foreign Secretary William Hague and Defence Secretary Philip Hammond opposed the relatives' application for an inquiry and yesterday the judges refused to overturn the decision, insisting it was “not unreasonable”.

Sir John Thomas - president of the Queen's Bench Division of the High Court, said it was ”very questionable“ whether ”much can be learnt“.

”There are obviously enormous difficulties in conducting an inquiry into a matter that happened over 63 years ago. Most of the contemporary documents are missing and most of those who were engaged are dead,” he said, adding:  “All in all, it would appear to be very difficult at this point in time to establish definitively whether the men were shot trying to escape or whether these were deliberate executions.

“Nor, in our view, would it be any easier to determine whether the use of force was reasonable or proportionate.”

John Halford, of solicitors, Bindmans, said: “We will be seeking permission to appeal against the court’s judgement. As matters stand, the questions they have asked have not been fully answered. There has been no movement by the Government to address on-going injustices at the heart of the case.”

Start your day with The Independent, sign up for daily news emails
ebooks
ebooksA special investigation by Andy McSmith
Life and Style
A picture taken on February 11, 2014 at people walking at sunrise on the Trocadero Esplanade, also known as the Parvis des droits de l'homme (Parvis of Human Rights), in front of the Eiffel Tower in Paris.
techGoogle celebrates Paris's iconic landmark, which opened to the public 126 years ago today
News
Scientists believe Mercury is coated in billions of years’ worth of carbon dust, after being ‘dumped on’ by passing comets
science
News
Cleopatra the tortoise suffers from a painful disease that causes her shell to disintegrate; her new prosthetic one has been custom-made for her using 3D printing technology
newsCleopatra had been suffering from 'pyramiding'
News
people
Arts and Entertainment
Coachella and Lollapalooza festivals have both listed the selfie stick devices as “prohibited items”
music
  • Get to the point
Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?

Day In a Page

No postcode? No vote

Floating voters

How living on a houseboat meant I didn't officially 'exist'
Louis Theroux's affable Englishman routine begins to wear thin

By Reason of Insanity

Louis Theroux's affable Englishman routine begins to wear thin
Power dressing is back – but no shoulderpads!

Power dressing is back

But banish all thoughts of Eighties shoulderpads
Spanish stone-age cave paintings 'under threat' after being re-opened to the public

Spanish stone-age cave paintings in Altamira 'under threat'

Caves were re-opened to the public
'I was the bookies’ favourite to be first to leave the Cabinet'

Vince Cable interview

'I was the bookies’ favourite to be first to leave the Cabinet'
Election 2015: How many of the Government's coalition agreement promises have been kept?

Promises, promises

But how many coalition agreement pledges have been kept?
The Gaza fisherman who built his own reef - and was shot dead there by an Israeli gunboat

The death of a Gaza fisherman

He built his own reef, and was fatally shot there by an Israeli gunboat
Saudi Arabia's airstrikes in Yemen are fuelling the Gulf's fire

Saudi airstrikes are fuelling the Gulf's fire

Arab intervention in Yemen risks entrenching Sunni-Shia divide and handing a victory to Isis, says Patrick Cockburn
Zayn Malik's departure from One Direction shows the perils of fame in the age of social media

The only direction Zayn could go

We wince at the anguish of One Direction's fans, but Malik's departure shows the perils of fame in the age of social media
Young Magician of the Year 2015: Meet the schoolgirl from Newcastle who has her heart set on being the competition's first female winner

Spells like teen spirit

A 16-year-old from Newcastle has set her heart on being the first female to win Young Magician of the Year. Jonathan Owen meets her
Jonathan Anderson: If fashion is a cycle, this young man knows just how to ride it

If fashion is a cycle, this young man knows just how to ride it

British designer Jonathan Anderson is putting his stamp on venerable house Loewe
Number plates scheme could provide a licence to offend in the land of the free

Licence to offend in the land of the free

Cash-strapped states have hit on a way of making money out of drivers that may be in collision with the First Amendment, says Rupert Cornwell
From farm to fork: Meet the Cornish fishermen, vegetable-growers and butchers causing a stir in London's top restaurants

From farm to fork in Cornwall

One man is bringing together Cornwall's most accomplished growers, fishermen and butchers with London's best chefs to put the finest, freshest produce on the plates of some of the country’s best restaurants
Robert Parker interview: The world's top wine critic on tasting 10,000 bottles a year, absurd drinking notes and New World wannabes

Robert Parker interview

The world's top wine critic on tasting 10,000 bottles a year, absurd drinking notes and New World wannabes
Don't believe the stereotype - or should you?

Don't believe the stereotype - or should you?

We exaggerate regional traits and turn them into jokes - and those on the receiving end are in on it too, says DJ Taylor