Hotel blaze in Burrington 'suspicious', say police
A fire which caused hundreds of thousands of pounds-worth of damage to a rural hotel may have been started deliberately, police said today.
West Mercia Constabulary said officers wanted to speak to anyone who witnessed suspicious activity near the scene of last night's blaze at the Bringewood Hotel in Burrington, north Herefordshire.
Fire crews from Herefordshire, Worcestershire and Shropshire tackled the fire, which caused substantial damage to a two-storey accommodation block and a dining area.
A police spokesman said no-one was in the hotel when the fire was reported at about 11pm last night.
He added: "Firefighters eventually brought the blaze under control but damage to the building is estimated to be several hundreds of thousands of pounds.
"At this early stage, police and fire investigators are treating the fire as suspicious and forensic examinations by both services will continue throughout the day.
"Investigators are keen to speak to anyone who saw any suspicious activity, vehicles or persons in the Burrington area during the late evening."
Anyone with information is asked to contact Sergeant Nick Green at Leominster Police Station on 0300 333 3000.
Olympic diver has made his modelling debut for Adidas
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
- 1 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained star's white boyfriend Brian Lucas confirms LAPD internally investigating 'racist' detainment
- 2 Isis release 'Flames of War' video warning Obama of attacks troops could face in Iraq
- 3 Pakistani passenger power forces two politicians off plane
- 4 Say yes to 'no-poo': It's been three years since I stopped washing my hair
- 5 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time: 'That was the lowest I'd ever felt'