Inmate dies after prison cell fire
Friday 04 November 2011
A 51-year-old prisoner has died after a blaze in his cell, the Prison Service said today.
John Cann, who was awaiting sentence for criminal damage, died in hospital yesterday after being pulled from his cell at the category B Holme House prison in Stockton on Tees following a fire on Wednesday.
It is understood he was not on suicide watch.
A Prison Service spokesman said: "HMP Holme House prisoner John Cann was found unresponsive after a fire in his cell at approximately 4.40pm on Wednesday November 2.
"Staff removed him from the cell and attempted resuscitation, and he was taken to outside hospital by ambulance. He was pronounced dead at approximately 2.35pm on Thursday November 3.
"As with all deaths in custody, the Prisons and Probation Ombudsman will conduct an investigation."
VMAs 2015: Was Nicki Minaj and Miley Cyrus' awkward acceptance put-down real or staged?
Bank Holiday Monday opening times: Are Tesco, Asda and other supermarkets open today?
The nine most warmongering countries in the world revealed
Isis releases graphic video showing four Shia 'spies' being burned alive in Anbar, Iraq
Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
Tony Blair attacks Jeremy Corbyn's 'Alice In Wonderland' politics
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up
Iain Duncan Smith 'should resign over disability benefit death figures', says Jeremy Corbyn
UN investigating British Government over human rights abuses caused by IDS welfare reforms
- 1 VMAs 2015: Was Nicki Minaj and Miley Cyrus' awkward acceptance put-down real or staged?
- 2 If you're not already angry about the migrant crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
- 3 Rules on 5p plastic bags likely to lead to arguments at the check-out
- 4 Chaos breaks out in courtroom as father attacks killer of three-year-old daughter
- 5 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night