Investigation launched after Prince William and Kate Middleton's police guard accidentally fires gun
An investigation has been launched after a police officer thought to be guarding Prince William and Kate Middleton accidentally fired his gun.
The officer was sitting in an unmarked car with a colleague when the shot rang out last week. No-one was hurt but the officer was removed from firearms duty pending the Scotland Yard inquiry.
The incident happened on Anglesey, where Prince William - who captains RAF Sea King helicopters - is stationed. The Metropolitan Police would not confirm that the Duchess of Cambridge was at home alone with her husband away on duty when the incident happened.
A Met spokesman said: "Shortly before 1pm on Wednesday October 24 an on-duty MPS police officer unintentionally discharged a firearm while in an unmarked police vehicle.
"The round damaged the floor of the vehicle. Another on-duty officer was in the vehicle at the time of the incident. Neither officer was injured. The officers were on duty in north Wales at the time." Both the officers are attached to specialist operations, the Met said.
The spokesman said the Met's directorate of professional standards had been informed of the incident and the officer concerned had been removed from firearms duty pending the outcome of inquiries.
A Clarence House spokesman said he could not confirm where the incident had taken place, saying such an incident would have to be handled by the Metropolitan Police.
Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
Mother of newborn Baby No 59 trapped in sewer pipe told Chinese police she 'heard crying' when she raised alarm
Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
AirAsia QZ8501: Black box reveals warning alarms 'screamed' before crash, as more bodies recovered from near fuselage of jet
Rob Lowe hits out at White House decision not to meet Israeli leader
British Muslim leaders outraged after Eric Pickles says followers of Islam should 'prove their identity'
UK terror fears: My jihadist son returned from Syria mentally scarred – now he is being ignored
Nigel Farage: NHS might have to be replaced by private health insurance
Billy Crystal: 'Stop shoving gay sex scenes in my face'
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
- 1 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 2 Mother of newborn Baby No 59 trapped in sewer pipe told Chinese police she 'heard crying' when she raised alarm
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Tennis fan suing Australian Open organisers for 'failing to shade spectators' during Murray match
- 5 This crazy skiing video will leave you feeling queasy