Judge attacks internet after leering youths filmed 'sick' assault
Saturday 14 June 2008
A senior judge made a passionate plea for the Government to clamp down on disturbing internet images as he jailed four teenagers for a "sickening" attack which they filmed.
The youths leered and smiled into a mobile phone before they savagely beat a homeless man, leaving him for dead. Paul Vickers, 40, was saved by a passer-by, but has been left partly paralysed and blind in his right eye.
The Old Bailey heard that one of the defendants, 17-year-old Oliver Skeggs, who had attacked a man in a wheelchair a week earlier, told police that he thought it would be a laugh.
The assault was inspired by violent images easily accessible on the Web and was itself intended to be uploaded on to the internet. Another member of the gang, Terry Bryan, 19, already had a series of violent clips on his phone, including one of a woman being shot in the head, and another of a hostage being beheaded.
"Paul Vickers was a man who apparently chose to live a quiet life largely on his own and largely on the road ... On that July morning as he lay sleeping, the four of you reached an agreement to subject him to a vicious and cowardly attack, and one that was to be filmed," said Judge David Rennie QC.
"Your actions as a group resulted in him very nearly being killed and has without doubt completely ruined his life. Long after you have served your sentences it seems likely he will continue to suffer physically and/or mentally each and every day. That is the legacy, that is the result of what you chose to do to that man.
"All for what, the sick and sadistic pleasure of giving a man a savage beating and filming it so some of you and others like you could enjoy the replaying of it."
Mr Vickers had been sleeping in a bus shelter in Fishbourne, West Sussex, on 24 July last year when the gang decided he was an easy target and set upon him. They teenagers beat him with a metal wheel brace and stamped on his head. They took a final photograph before abandoning him to die, but a passer-by called the emergency services.
He underwent six hours of surgery, having suffered multiple skull fractures as well as brain injuries, and is now living in a care centre in Bournemouth.
Police never recovered the phone on which the attack was filmed, but Bryan showed footage to a neighbour, who told his mother. She informed the police.
The judge said there was a "direct connection" between graphic images of violence featured on the internet and their decision to film the attack.
"I believe this was copying and adding to the violent images already in circulation," he said. "I urge the Government to continue to investigate this problem to see if there is anything else that can be done to protect people from images that should never be seen."
Three of the teenagers were convicted at Lewes Crown Court, while the fourth admitted the attack.
Yesterday Skeggs, of Chichester, who was said to have been high on skunk at the time of the assault, was given an indeterminate sentence with a minimum term of 13 years after being convicted of attempted murder. He admitting taking part in a robbery seven days earlier, when a 59-year-old man was beaten with a wooden baton at his home.
Alistair Field, 17, of Chichester, who filmed the attack, was jailed for eight years, as was Bryan, after being convicted of grievous bodily harm with intent.
Ross Beeby, 19, of Bognor, West Sussex, was jailed for 12 years after admitting grievous bodily harm with intent. He had grinned at the camera before jumping on Mr Vickers' head.
YouTube video posted by Isis militants shows 'execution of 250 Syrian soldiers'
Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- < Previous
- Next >