World boxing champion Kell Brook has broken his silence after being stabbed in his left leg while on holiday with his family in Tenerife.
The 28-year-old Sheffield fighter, who won the IBF welterweight title when he beat American Shawn Porter in California last month, has been in hospital on the Spanish island since he was attacked during the early hours of Thursday morning.
Despite reportedly losing a lot of blood, Brook is expected to return to the UK on Monday and has already set his sights on defending his title once he has made a full recovery.
"I was out enjoying a night out before returning home to the UK when I was the victim of an unprovoked attack," he said from his hospital bed.
"I'm devastated right now after being on such a high having achieved my dream of becoming world champion in Los Angeles last month.
"This is obviously a major setback but the thought of defending my title is what's keeping me positive right now.
"I want to thank everyone for their support and ask for privacy for myself and my family at this time. Make no mistake - I will be back."
Earlier on Friday, Brook's promoter Eddie Hearn tweeted two pictures of the fighter sat up in his hospital bed, one showing him with a heavily bandaged left thigh.
Brook's next fight was expected to take place on December 6 and he was reportedly being lined up for a fight against Amir Khan next year, but Hearn admitted that he is unlikely to fight again in 2014.
The promoter said: "We were all glad to get out here and see Kell for ourselves. The important thing now is to get him home and after some rest begin physio on his injuries.
"His first defence was planned on December 6 which is now unrealistic but we fully expect Kell to be back in the ring early next year."
It is the second time Brook has been stabbed, after sustaining injuries in an incident in his home city in 2007.
Brook's win over Porter stretched his unbeaten professional record to 33 fights and marked him out as one of the leading names in his division.