Law and police chiefs unite on scandal strategy
Tuesday 12 April 2011
The director of Public Prosecutions and the second-in-command of Britain's largest police force last night attempted to draw a line under a damaging split between them over whether legal advice limited the original investigation into the phone hacking scandal.
In a joint statement, Keir Starmer QC, head of the Crown Prosecution Service, and John Yates, acting deputy commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, said they had both sought to give their "best understanding" of events five years ago and would now "focus together" on the new criminal inquiry into voicemail interception at the News of the World.
The two men had appeared dramatically at odds in recent weeks during testimony to MPs over the decision of police investigating phone hacking by private investigator Glenn Mulcaire and NOTW royal editor Clive Goodman in 2006 to pursue a "handful" of cases despite apparent evidence that the number of victims could reach thousands.
Appearing before the Commons Home Affairs Select Committee last week, Mr Starmer contradicted evidence from Mr Yates by saying that advice given by the CPS to detectives in 2006 "did not limit the scope and extent of the criminal investigation" into phone hacking. The Met has suffered repeated criticism of its original investigation, drawing strongly denied claims that officers had curtailed their inquiries because of the close relationship between the Yard and the NOTW.
In an effort to close the schism between prosecutors and police, Mr Yates and Mr Starmer said: "Neither of us had responsibility for this case at the time it was originally prosecuted. We have, therefore, both sought to interpret, as best we can, the original documentation and the recollections of those involved. The relevant information is now in the public domain. We, and others in our organisations, would now like to focus together on the current investigation."
Weather bomb in pictures: Storms cuts power for tens of thousands – and snow is on the way
Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
Russell Brand was rendered speechless on Question Time by this man
Fury at Airbus after it hints the super-jumbo may be mothballed
Disgruntled RBS worker writes hilarious open letter to Russell Brand after anti-capitalist publicity stunt leaves him hungry
Nigel Farage's approval rating hits 'record low' as popularity suffers in wake of Ukip sex scandal
Nigel Farage defends Kerry Smith 'ch***y' comment: 'If you are going for a Chinese, what do you say you’re going for?'
Pakistan school attack live: Taliban kill at least 132 children in 'horrifying' massacre
Sony hack: Angelina Jolie branded 'seriously out of her mind' in further embarrassing leaked email saga
Panic Saturday: 13 million Britons spend £1.2bn – while 13 million others across the country live in poverty unable to afford food
- 1 Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more